Monday, February 25, 2013

Our Night at the Academy Awards

-->
This is a slight deviation from my normal posts, as it doesn’t involve anything Victorian or Edwardian (except perhaps a few vintage-y–ish dresses) but I thought it might be fun and interesting enough to share.

My fiancé and I had the honor of attending the 85th Annual Academy Awards last night. Granted, this wasn’t my first time, but it’s always fun to dress up, and look the part of a celebrity, and walk on the red carpet, for just one night.

For those who aren't familiar with how the Oscar's red carpet works, and have only seen it through coverage on the tv screen, let me tell you a little bit about the behind the scenes of the Academy’s iconic red carpet. 

First, there are actually three lines, or rows, to the red carpet, each roped off by red velvet leads. The far left row, is the one reserved for A-list actors, directors, writers, and various other ‘well known’ celebrities (or the occasional Academy governor). Those who passed by me, and walked down this particular lane, were Jennifer Lawrence, Steven Spielberg, Hugh Jackman, Reese Witherspoon, Queen Latifah, Steve Guttenberg, Tom Hooper, and Philip Seymour Hoffman, and several others.

The thin middle row, is meant for those who wish to get to their seats pronto, can’t be bothered with being held up by the press line, and would rather bypass all the cameras and interviewers of the red carpet, to retreat to the sanctuary of the Dolby theater, where there is no press except in the Green Room.  Those who utilized this line yesterday evening that I observed, were Chris Pine (Star Trek, People Like Us) Kristen Stewart (Twilight) on crutches, Sandra Bullock, and Jennifer Garner.

The far right row, is left for those who are still important, but may not be as well known, or know at all in the public eye. This includes academy members & their guests from the production side of film-making & animation folks, (like us).

Once we were up the steps of the Dobly theater and into the main foyer, that’s when things got exciting.  The highlights of our night were as follows…

We met Peter Lord, the director of Pirates from Ardmann Animation, and he was a riot. I adored him. Such a great sense of humor and personality, we really enjoyed speaking with him.  My fiancé had the chance to speak with Mark Walberg, and tell him how much he enjoyed ‘Ted’ and really thought he was hilarious.

What I had been most excited about, was getting to speak with Tim Burton, and Helena Bonham Carter, whom I both love, and I was also able to discuss with Helena how much I really admire her, and that loved her dress that evening. It was very ‘Victorian/Steampunk in nature, perfectly ‘her’.

We also had the chance to congratulate Brenda Chapman on her dual win with Mark Andrews on winning the best Animated Feature category for directing Pixar’s Brave. I had to tell her how much I loved her blue corseted gown, which was absolutely stunning in person.

After that, we saw John and Nancy Lasseter and were able to tell them as well how happy we were that Brave, won, and also that the animated short Paper Man took the Oscar. I also talked to Nancy about their winery, which, she said, is her greatest passion. Well, who can blame her? Who doesn’t love wine?

The real treat was meeting Tommy Lee Jones, and telling him what a wonderful job I thought he did in Lincoln, and that I truly thought he would win the Oscar, as he was my personal pick and favorite.  He and his wife were incredibly gracious and sweet, and thanked me for my kind words. They were both a joy to chat with. 

The Oscars, or Academy Awards, are really a very special event, and it is truly an honor to be able to attend such a prestigious affair, and meet or speak with such incredible, talented, and gifted people.  Every year, I know how fortunate I am to be able to sit and stand amongst the giants of this industry, and it reminds me of all the reasons why I love this business.



No comments:

Post a Comment