Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January 29th, 2013

A blog, really? A blog? Why on earth would I have a blog one might suppose? Do you really have anything of value to say? To contribute? I say, 'Yes, quite'. Through the research I've done for writing, for costumes, and for designing worlds and settings, I thought it might be fun to share what I'm learned about the good 'ol Victorian/Edwardian times, with those who might be equally as interested. The frequency of posts might vary from many to none, depending on my mood, and what I find unique enough to post. But I'd like to share some little historical facts that I don't believe many people know.

For example, according to the Ladies Home Journal, (published in both the US and Great Britain) in the Feb issue from 1901, a two story Frank Lloyd Wright House, as seen in the floor plan below, could be built for $6970.00







Masonry, Cement and Plaster.........$2800.00
Carpentry.......................................$3100.00
Plumbling.........................................$400.00
Painting and Glass........................... $325.00
Heating -combination (hot water).....$345.00
TOTAL                                         $6970.00








Considering how most Frank Lloyd Wright homes go for something in the millions now, it's interesting to see what the 'modest city man' of 1901 could 'reasonably afford', compared to 2013. The original price to have it built, not just purchased as a completed house, might by you a plank from the floorboards of one now-a-days.






Oh, and Ladies Home Journal went for ten cents back then, and was published by the Curtis Publishing Company in Philadelphia, (who also published the Saturday Evening Post) where it lived until it was sold in 1968.

3 comments:

  1. I think about 7,000 is the right amount to spend for a home. Let's roll back the prices! Great blog, Amanda! Wishing you the best of success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Roll back! Just like WallMart! I support that! And thanks Jason! I'm already having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Amanda,
    Love the blog but the white on black text makes it hard to read. I had the same problem on my blog. You want to make it easy for people to read. Keep it up.
    Best,
    Francis

    ReplyDelete